UNESCO CHAIR OF INTERCULTURAL POLICY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MACEDONIA
SUMMER ACADEMY “PROTECTION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN EUROPE WITH REGARD TO THE RIGHTS OF REFUGEES”
5 – 9 July, 2017 – Thessaloniki, Greece
CONFERENCE ROOM – UNIVERSITY OF MACEDONIA
The UNESCO Chair of “Intercultural Policy for Active Citizenship and Solidarity” of the University of Macedonia organizes the Second Summer Academy in Thessaloniki targeted to lawyers, judges, teachers, police, journalists, political and social scientists, social workers, NGO members and University students interested in “Human Rights in Europe with particular emphasis on the rights of refugees”.
The courses will be taught in English by 12 specialized academics and experts from Europe and Greece in the Conference Room of the University of Macedonia during 5-9 July 2017 (40 teaching hours). The program offers 3 extracurricular ECTS units to the participants that will pass a multiple choice exam. The courses will be held from 14.30 to 21.30 daily, and on Saturday from 10.30 to 18.30 and Sunday from 15.00 to 21.45.
The summer academy consists of six thematic circles and the corresponding lectures, which are:
- International and Regional Mechanisms for Human Rights Protection
- Professor P. Naskou Perraki: “International and Regional Protection of Human Rights: the Example of Refugees”
- The European Convention on Human Rights
- Dr. D. Rajska (Expert Council of Europe): “The European Convention on Human Rights – The Right to a Fair Trial and the Right to Asylum”
- Ast. Professor I. Papadopoulos: “Freedom of Expression”
- Fundamental Human Rights in the EU
- Associate Professor L. Papadopoulou: “The Charter of Fundamental Rights”
- Professor E. Alexandropoulou and Dr. M. Mylossi: “The Protection of Personal Data in the EU”
- Prohibition of discrimination with emphasis on LGBT rights
- Associate Professor D. Anagnostopoulou: “Legislation and case law of the ECtHR and the European Court of Justice on the Prohibition of Discrimination”
- Professor A. Tryfonidou (University of Reading, UK): “The Rights of LGBT in Europe”
- Dr. Ch. Baxevanis, “Procedures for granting asylum in Greece and the EU-Turkey Declaration”
- Dr. E. Koutsouraki, “The Rights of Asylum Seekers in the Common European Asylum System”
In this section there will be a lecture by Mr. Petros Mastakas, UNHCR official in Athens “Beyond emergency response and transition: The search for durable solutions for refugees”.
- Cultural Rights, Minorities and Groups
– Dr. N. Gaitenidis: “Cultural Rights in Europe” and “Minorities, Indigenous Populations and Groups: Human Rights and Identity”
– Ast. Professor I. Papavassileiou – Alexiou: Workshop on “Intercultural Competencies on Counseling in Vulnerable Social Groups”.
For the Course description, CVs of the faculty, and optional social activities scheduled please follow the link UNESCOchair-SUMMERSCHOOLinformation
The deadline for submitting applications is until June 30, 2017. You can fill in the application form (in English) application-form – unesco
Then you must send the application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. For more information, call +30 2310 891 442 or the website http://unescochair.uom.gr/?p=657